Today’s guest, Mercedes Kwiatkowski, is a triple board-certified physician: She is a pediatrician, and most of what she does pertains to child psychiatry. In addition, she’s a blogger, a mom of two young children, and a wife. Today’s episode focuses on being a parent and also being a child psychiatrist.
Some of the highlights of the show include:
- Some ways that Mercedes relates her experience in child psychiatry to her parenting, and vice-versa.
- Mercedes’s thoughts on some of the differences between boys and girls and the stereotypes that pertain to each gender.
- How being a parent has changed the work-life balance for a family with two busy physicians.
- How Mercedes controls her stress and calms down after a tough day at work before she gets home.
- Thoughts on how parental stress lends to childhood stress and anxiety.
- How the overuse of technology lends to screen addiction and anxiety, as well as tips on how to curb this.
- The stigma of mental health issues and how talking about it and knowing what to do with kids and adults who are struggling can help. Also, thoughts on finding a balance between honesty and being strong when parents struggle with their own anxiety.